Tuesday, February 17, 2009

“Eeriness”


It’s not late, it’s not dark,
Another hour or so before the dusk,
Nonetheless it feels eerie and tense
As if the air is filled with suspense…

Nothing is happening, all is still,
I looked up, behind and uphill,
Cars passed by, once or twice,
No other movement otherwise…

No birds, no squirrel with a torn ear,
Nothing moves or so it appeared,
All stopped and cautiously waits
While eeriness is passing through the gate…

Minutes passed. Or hours? – Who knows?
All was lifeless above and below…
Where this strangeness dwells,
Behind which gate or cell?

Housed in dimension of Fear
Arriving always from …nowhere,
Eeriness, sightless and unkind,
Is playing tricks with our minds.
*************************
White bread in hand. My sparrows are here,
So is the squirrel with a torn ear…
What was it? Hiccupping of Time? –
Whatever it was, it is all behind…
February 17, 2009

6 comments:

Fram Actual said...

I like this one very much, Natalie. Transcendental, I think.

I need to do some work for myself before I write more. Tomorrow (later today for you). But, I do not want to end this note without asking for your recommendations on the best location to obtain caviar and brandy in the south of Russia.

No rush.

Natalie said...

Thank you, Fram.
As it was suggested by you, exploiting my "strongest" part!

“Transcendental” – a) Surpassing all others; superior; b) Beyond common thought or experience; mystical or supernatural;

Fram Actual said...

When a person lives in woodlands or spends considerable time at a campsite in the middle of nowhere, it is not unheard of to experience moments like you describe. Consequently, it is not difficult to understand how the notion of woodland spirits, sprites, fairies, manitous, or whatever name a person wishes to call them, originated.

The distinction of your poem here, I think, is the clarity with which you describe the stoppage of time, the lost moments. Enjoy them if you experience them. I think they may be a half-step toward serenity.

Fram Actual said...

Your recent silence is deafening.

I hope you are writing, for yourself, if not for others.

Sleep well, and write your dreams ....

Natalie said...

Thank you, Fram,
It is because of you (!!) I think twice what to publish and what not to publish!!!
Kidding… Too busy… my work drains me. Don’t sleep well, my nights are dreamless…
I’ll be back soon.
P.S. Also realized that “following” blogs is a full time job!!! And you produced a lot lately!

Fram Actual said...

I tried a bit of free verse. Your turn to be the critic, if you so wish. Be gentle.

And, I'm still waiting to see more writing from you.